banner91319

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Get a Free 3-Day Trial of OTTO

Give OTTO a try for free and Discover the Way mTurk Work Should Have Always Been. To get started, contact me at [email protected]

Our site is constantly growing and adding new features. We've already come a long way in a very short time, and would love for you to become a more active member of our group.

Beyond your initial Free 3-Day Trial, to have a permanent OTTO Key you need to have a Tier 2 or Tier 3 membership.

Our current membership prices are:

Tier 1: Free
Tier 2: $10/month
Tier 3: $15/month

If you need to upgrade your membership tier, please send me a message at [email protected] , and I'll get that taken care of for you.

To Find out all about OTTO check out https://www.ourhitstop.net/otto-instructions .
See more
See less

Embrionic Turker - Too Scared to do First HIT 5 Weeks in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embrionic Turker - Too Scared to do First HIT 5 Weeks in...

Good day! Brand new and spent the last 5 weeks reading, studying, downloading scripts, reading, reading... OH! And quals. I was so scared on first qual, native American or not, that I felt like I'd suffered hours of the upward clickety-clack on a steep roller-coaster climb with no summit in sight... truly? Was afraid this Ohioan wouldn't pass... Craziest thing I've experienced lol. Typically fearless and love cerebral stimulation and variety and... here I am. Daily, I get onboard, relish my 100% Approval Rating, promising myself today is the day for first $ .01 - now, closing the work day with, proudly, 100% Approval and ZERO HITS/Zero dinero... need help over the hump if this resonates with anyone else. Sufi quote, Dyzan insight, an original inspiration... I'll take it!

Welcome and glad to have you! It can be intimidating to start off especially when you know your approval is a huge make or break, specifically when you are first starting out. Many of us have been turking for many years (I'm on 10 years myself). My best advice is to go with a safe requester to start off. MLDataLabeler is a very safe requester. I have done over 10K probably closer to 20K hits from them an never a rejection. They will take about 5 days to approve. Also 411Richmond and Ibotta are safe requesters to start to get your numbers up with although their hits are not as abundant and frequently posted as MLDataLabeler. I would go ahead and do your profile information hits. There are 10 hits posted from Amazon Mechanical Turk Team titled Profile Information and what they are looking for in each of those. They are 0.00 pay but you will at least have your first 10 hits logged (and it will help you qualify for other hits some requesters use).
    We all have to start somewhere and the sooner you start logging hits the sooner you have money in your pocket!

Comment

• Bic66
      Bic66 commented
      Editing a comment
      smartin Thank you kindly. Humbled and have massive respect for the turk tribe. Yes, TODAY is the day I will submit a HIT. Zero pay isn't even a consideration at this point. I'm over-thinking at this point and know I've surpassed trepidation and walked a couple a' hundred yards into 'stupid' territory. I'll go look for those 10 profile freebies!

• smartin
      smartin commented
      Editing a comment
      Bic66 let us know how it goes! Maybe you will venture into a few paying hits too!

Welcome! Sure can be intimidating. I think I was a member for nearly a year before I did anything (don’t follow my lead)

what scripts do you have? Using MTS and checking approval ratings can go a long way to helping nerves. Also, have you discovered turkopticon yet? Another good practice that can help nerves is check in with people on the forum to see if a requester is trustworthy. Jump in with us on the DHT, I’ll bet you’ll be an old hand in no time

Comment

• CrazyCatLady
      CrazyCatLady commented
      Editing a comment
      Bic66, I think you'll be golden with PC, Hit Forker, and MTS to start. You don't want too much to start until you're comfortable with the bare necessities. That way you can diagnose if any issues happen. You won't go wrong with the profile hits - they won't reject, so that's a great idea to get started.

DHT - sorry, that's Daily Hit Thread do NOT worry about asking, I try to avoid random shortening with people but it does slip through.

• Fisherman
      Fisherman commented
      Editing a comment
      and don't get Otto...it's terrible...just kidding...but I would hold off on that till I got more hits under your belt.

• CrazyCatLady
      CrazyCatLady commented
      Editing a comment
      Heh, Fisherman is right, get comfortable with doing hits on the regular and then get Otto - you'll be so glad you did

Welcome and hello! I have been turking fourteen years and started off the opposite way and promptly got 4 rejections my first week! It was a tough lesson to learn right off the bat. However; being too cautious will stop you from making money and that is what we are all here to do. smartin listed some safe requesters to start with and you can get your numbers up with those so if and when you do get the first dreaded rejection you will have some cushion with your numbers and it won't hurt. Let us know how we can help you and I wish you the best in making money!

Comment

• Bic66
      Bic66 commented
      Editing a comment
      (With deep, Namaste bow) Impressed Turking2Long! As mentioned above, always something in life to keep one humble, no? Going with smartin s suggestions above. TODAY is the day, turk tribe! Thank you for the bright shiny vibes!

• Turking2Long
      Turking2Long commented
      Editing a comment
      Bic66 I wanted to check on you and see if you knocked out a few hits? How is it going?

Originally posted by smartin View Post
    I would go ahead and do your profile information hits. There are 10 hits posted from Amazon Mechanical Turk Team titled Profile Information and what they are looking for in each of those. They are 0.00 pay but you will at least have your first 10 hits logged (and it will help you qualify for other hits some requesters use).
    Are you referring to the 'Profile Information' quals listed on Qualifeye under 'Premium Qualifications', toward the bottom of the page in the following link? https://turkerview.com/qualifeye/

Comment

• smartin
      smartin commented
      Editing a comment
      I had literally never been to that page before, but yes.

• ZeldaFoot
      ZeldaFoot commented
      Editing a comment
      Bic66 anything by this requester is what smartin was talking about
      Title: Profile Information - Employment and Home | Accept
      Requester: Amazon Mechanical Turk Team [AXKBO5V1Y75RL] Contact
      TO: [Pay=2.94] [Fast=4.17] [Comm=3.27] [Fair=4.46] [Reviews=46] [ToS=0]
      TO2: No Reviews
      Reward: 0.00
      Duration: 1:00:00
      Available: 1
      Description: Help us understand you better by answering a few questions about yourself
      Qualifications: None
      You should be able to click on the requester's name right there and pull up all the available hits. If you don't see any, make sure to clear your filters on the mturk hits page, since these are $0.00
      Last edited by ZeldaFoot; 03-11-2020, 05:09 PM.

I completely get where you're coming from on a soul level! I have over 30,000 hits and 99.87% approval rating and a rejection pretty much freezes me for a day or two. If it makes you feel better you ARE going to get a rejection unless you don't work. There are some fantastic requesters that rarely, if ever, reject that you can do to pad your numbers.
    Positive as f*&%! Be happy and everything else is a breeze!

Comment

• Bic66
      Bic66 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you witch1 Truth. Btw... can you possibly tell me how to include someone's comment in my post reply? See below. Some folks on forums I've strolled really get annoyed if the quoter isn't included in reply. I tried checking the box and selecting 'post reply' above and it did not include the person's comment (zeldafoot). Eternally grateful...

• witch1
      witch1 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's simple...click QUOTE and then add your comment.

Ok, overwhelmed apparently because I searched and even Fisherman post of how to quote someone's comment with my question is not registering... I'd like to quote ZeldaFoot above for clarification. Post I read said to check the box by the comment and hit 'post reply' and zeldafoot's comment would show in my question/reply. It did not. What obvious thing and I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Bic66 View Post
      Ok, overwhelmed apparently because I searched and even Fisherman post of how to quote someone's comment with my question is not registering... I'd like to quote ZeldaFoot above for clarification. Post I read said to check the box by the comment and hit 'post reply' and zeldafoot's comment would show in my question/reply. It did not. What obvious thing and I missing?
      Click quote. Quote will turn yellow.
      Positive as f*&%! Be happy and everything else is a breeze!

Comment

Originally posted by witch1 View Post

Click quote. Quote will turn yellow.
        Am I able to quote a comment? Wanted to ask Zeldafoot a question about her comment above... And ty.

Comment

• witch1
          witch1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yay! It works

Originally posted by smartin View Post
        Welcome and glad to have you! It can be intimidating to start off especially when you know your approval is a huge make or break, specifically when you are first starting out. Many of us have been turking for many years (I'm on 10 years myself). My best advice is to go with a safe requester to start off. MLDataLabeler is a very safe requester. I have done over 10K probably closer to 20K hits from them an never a rejection. They will take about 5 days to approve. Also 411Richmond and Ibotta are safe requesters to start to get your numbers up with although their hits are not as abundant and frequently posted as MLDataLabeler. I would go ahead and do your profile information hits. There are 10 hits posted from Amazon Mechanical Turk Team titled Profile Information and what they are looking for in each of those. They are 0.00 pay but you will at least have your first 10 hits logged (and it will help you qualify for other hits some requesters use).
        We all have to start somewhere and the sooner you start logging hits the sooner you have money in your pocket!
        Well. Completed 8 of the Profile Information hits. Went over to qualifications in MTS and after review, a great deal of information was incorrect! FB account, for example? Said value of '0'. Of course I've a FB account. Credit Cards, I clicked radio button for a 'Yes'... value posted in column is '0' for a no. Just a couple examples.

First two errors I clicked 'request retry' Said up to 5 minutes... thoughts? Thanks, folks. A day for the journal...
        Last edited by Bic66; 03-11-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• smartin
          smartin commented
          Editing a comment
          I think a lot of those take a few days for Amazon actually update on their end. Also you probably have to sync MTS as well. I only use MTS for hit tracker and do a 45 day sync every few days.

• Turking2Long
          Turking2Long commented
          Editing a comment
          Alright! You are on your way now!

Bic66 were you asking me how I posted the link to the HIT the way that I did? Like this?
        Title: Demographics survey | Accept
        Requester: Panos Ipeirotis [A3DL93QTPE513P] Contact
        TO: [Pay=4.42] [Fast=4.68] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=4.92] [Reviews=64] [ToS=1]
        TO2: [Hrly=9.87] [Pen=0.19] [Res=null] [Rec=100] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
        Reward: 0.10
        Duration: 1:00:00
        Available: 1
        Description: Demographics survey
        Qualifications: None

(BTW, you can do this HIT once every 30 days. Quick and easy.) If you use MTS, when you scroll through the mturk hits page, there's a little yellow arrow next to each hit title. Click that and select BBCode. It copies the hit information, and you can paste it into the forum. If you want to copy one you see on Hit Forker, click the vB button next to the hit titles and then you can paste it here.

Comment

• ZeldaFoot
          ZeldaFoot commented
          Editing a comment
          I copied this one from Hit Forker. They look slightly different, but really contain the same information overall.

Title: 20 minute survey for $2.00. NO MOBILES PLEASE.(~ 20 minutes) | PANDA
          Requester: The Wharton School [ABIUW8FBC3EE7] (Req TV): $16.30/hr/hr
          (TO): [Pay: 3.64] [Fair: 4.56] [Comm: 3.93] [Fast: 4.52]
          Description: 20 minute survey for $2.00. NO MOBILES PLEASE.
          Time: 45 minutes(s)
          HITs Available: 1
          Reward: $2.00
          Qualifications: Exc: [202424-202955] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US;

So how are things going for you?

Comment

Working...
        X