banner91319

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Get a Free 3-Day Trial of OTTO

Give OTTO a try for free and Discover the Way mTurk Work Should Have Always Been. To get started, contact me at [email protected]

Our site is constantly growing and adding new features. We've already come a long way in a very short time, and would love for you to become a more active member of our group.

Beyond your initial Free 3-Day Trial, to have a permanent OTTO Key you need to have a Tier 2 or Tier 3 membership.

Our current membership prices are:

Tier 1: Free
Tier 2: $10/month
Tier 3: $15/month

If you need to upgrade your membership tier, please send me a message at [email protected] , and I'll get that taken care of for you.

To Find out all about OTTO check out https://www.ourhitstop.net/otto-instructions .
See more
See less

Does OTTO catch everything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does OTTO catch everything?

I notice that there are HITS showing up on the daily HITS thread that my OTTO isn't grabbing. I'm wondering if there is a good reason for that. OTTO is great but there are some really high paying HITS on here that my OTTO isn't sending my way. Thanks

Otto catches what you are qualified to work on. If there are certain qualifications that the hit calls for that you don't have, then it won't catch them.
    Positive as f*&%! Be happy and everything else is a breeze!

Comment

• witch1
      witch1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I catch those sometimes. Otto caught it because the requester doesn't have any sort of quals set on it.

• lightningshark
      lightningshark commented
      Editing a comment
      Today I manually grabbed a HIT that I qualified for that OTTO didn't see. I'm not complaining because OTTO is amazing. I'm just confused.

• Fisherman
      Fisherman commented
      Editing a comment
      There are several situations that can cause this. Here are a few (but not all) of them...in order of likelihood.

1. You are running a scraper...At this time, scrapers such as Hit Forker, Hit Scraper, Hit Finder, work in competition with Otto. When you have both Otto, and a scraper running, Otto sees what the scraper finds and figures "they already know about this" and skips over it for a period of 100 searches. Now, I realize that a lot of people use Otto for higher paying hits, and scrapers for everything else...and that's fine...but it does cause this issue. This will be solved ultimately with a future release of "Hit List", our Otto compatible scraper which is designed to work with, instead of against Otto.

2. Numbers of hits flow through the mTurk system every second. A situation happens where Otto does a search...sees the hit and tries to grab it...but is unsuccessful for some reason...Otto puts the Hit on pause for 100 search periods (cool down period)...during this time...you catch it by other means. This will also be solved by an upcoming update to Otto which allows for an adjustable cool down period.

3. Beyond this, there's just the bottom line that no script, app, or worker will ever catch every Hit, every time...the mTurk system is designed to thwart this and I doubt that it can ever be overcome completely.

Im also guessing at least 100+ people are using OTTO now so that is competition as well. Some other OTTO user(s) may catch the hit before you if theres only a few because of their specific settings/configuration and internet speed.

Comment

• lightningshark
      lightningshark commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello everyone.
      I've had OTTO set to find HITS for at least $1 and it has been silent for well over an hour. Has anyone had this happen?

• smartin
      smartin commented
      Editing a comment
      lightningshark sorry for the late reply. I hope you were able to figure out your issue. A few basic things can be causing this. Starting with the obvious first. Are you logged in and is Otto running? Did you start Otto prior to starting any other scrapers or catchers? Otto needs to be started first because he will assume that you have already seen and are trying to catch that hit via other means if you don't start him first. What other scrapers and/or catchers are you running at the same time? You could be calling to the Mturk website too often and you are just running into Page Request Errors (PREs) Make sure your total search rate with everything is no less than .8 you can use the Page Request Calculator at this link: https://www.ourhitstop.net/page-request-calculator I would suggest bookmarking this page so you have it handy in the future. If you are still having issues please let me know.

• Fisherman
      Fisherman commented
      Editing a comment
      Update for anyone reading this...lightningshark contacted me about this and had a combination running that was producing a Page Request Rate of 0.444. This will cause a huge drop in caught Hits all on its own.

I spoke with the administrator about this already but I'll explain here as well. I have Panda Crazy open just to collect hits from OTTO. I have OTTO running at .8. looking for hits that are at least a dollar. I am logged into Mturk and have my dashboard showing. I always log into Mturk first and then start OTTO. I notice that if I close my browser down and restart it I get a HIT within a couple minutes. When I first got OTTO lots of hits were pouring in and it really seems different now after using it for 10 days. If I lower OTTO down o .50 cents then those hits come in. It's the higher reward hits that don't seem to show up anymore. I can see from the daily hits page here that people are seeing hits for 5-10 dollars that I seem to qualify for yet I never see those hits in OTTO. So i'm not sure what to think at this point. I'm making more money than I would without OTTO for sure it seems like something is off. Thanks for you concern!

Comment

• CrazyCatLady
      CrazyCatLady commented
      Editing a comment
      lightningshark - it really depends, just like it did before Otto. I think the thing is, you're not seeing hits someone caught and then posted. You're seeing hits someone saw in hit forker or hit finder or even on the worker site itself and exported for the sake of the group. Unless you see words to the effect of "qualifications not available from queue" (sorry, I can't remember exactly at the moment), it's just an export from a script. All this to say that we're not all catching those high dollar hits either

Now, there are plenty of times 3 people on the board are talking about catching a $5 hit and I didn't. That could be because the hit showed up while Panda Crazy was running, or because my internet hiccuped, or because 1000 other people were trying to catch the hit at the same time and it just didn't happen for me. You know how when you click on a hit on the worker site and it's already gone? Otto is a ton faster than you could click, but it's still dealing with the same issues of competing with other people and even with hit throttle.

Finally, this past week was mid-terms at the university I work at. I guarantee you that had something to do with researchers not posting hits!

• witch1
      witch1 commented
      Editing a comment
      MTurk is very much a roll of the dice. Otto helps, but, can only catch what's actually there. There have been times when I struggle to make it to 20.00 and then I see someone mention in the forums that they broke 100.00. Other times, I blow through 50.00 and someone else will mention that they're only at 10.00. Otto is a helper, not a magic bullet.

• Turking2Long
      Turking2Long commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the main thing is as you said you are making more money with otto than without it. A lot depends on timing and a lot depends on your qualifications. At the end of the day I see tons of hits every day that someone else caught and I did not. Thats just the way turking works.

Okay lightningshark...let's break this way down. How many hits have you completed? What's your approval rating? What system are you using to Turk? ALL of those have an impact on how effectively and efficiently you Turk. If you only have 1000 hits or 90% approval rating then Otto isn't going to catch very much. And temper your expectations. What I mean by that, does it matter if you make 50.00 with 5 hits or 100 hits? I know that for me when I make over 25.00 it's made by doing a bunch of smaller hits instead of one or two big hits.
    Positive as f*&%! Be happy and everything else is a breeze!

Comment

• lightningshark
      lightningshark commented
      Editing a comment
      hey witch1. the only thing that I'm confused on is seeing lots of hits showing up on the forum here that I qualify for that my OTTO doesn't catch. But as Fisherman has said, OTTO doesn't catch everything. I'm curious though, do you have times when OTTO is quiet for 30-45 minutes at a time? I know I could lower my reward amount and catch em but I'm usually looking for 1$ and above. Again OTTO is great. It's the best thing that's happened for me with Mturk. Thanks for your responses too. I really appreciate it

• witch1
      witch1 commented
      Editing a comment
      lightningshark my best days as far as money have been on days where I have lower amounts on Otto. If I set Otto at .70 and 1 second timer I stay steady busy until I decide to stop working. High paying hits are nice, but, all that matters to me is my weekly goal. As long as I hit it I don't care if it's pennies or dollars.

• lightningshark
      lightningshark commented
      Editing a comment
      that makes sense witch1
Working...
X