• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lightningshark
    commented on 's reply
    that makes sense witch1

• witch1
    commented on 's reply
    lightningshark my best days as far as money have been on days where I have lower amounts on Otto. If I set Otto at .70 and 1 second timer I stay steady busy until I decide to stop working. High paying hits are nice, but, all that matters to me is my weekly goal. As long as I hit it I don't care if it's pennies or dollars.

• lightningshark
    commented on 's reply
    hey witch1. the only thing that I'm confused on is seeing lots of hits showing up on the forum here that I qualify for that my OTTO doesn't catch. But as Fisherman has said, OTTO doesn't catch everything. I'm curious though, do you have times when OTTO is quiet for 30-45 minutes at a time? I know I could lower my reward amount and catch em but I'm usually looking for 1$ and above. Again OTTO is great. It's the best thing that's happened for me with Mturk. Thanks for your responses too. I really appreciate it

• witch1
    commented on 's reply
    lightningshark Once you're over 5000 you'll catch more. Do some safe requester batches to get your approval up some.

• lightningshark
    commented on 's reply
    Hey guys. I've had some pretty good days with OTTO lately but nothing's perfect and today OTTO is pretty silent. For the record I have over 4,000 completed HITS. My approval rating is %99.3. I'm using a pretty quick pc with a lightning fast connection. I'll try some search rate adjustments but I fear going much below .8. Thanks for the responses guys. OTTO!

• Turking2Long
    commented on 's reply
    I think the main thing is as you said you are making more money with otto than without it. A lot depends on timing and a lot depends on your qualifications. At the end of the day I see tons of hits every day that someone else caught and I did not. Thats just the way turking works.

• witch1
    commented on 's reply
    Good point Fisherman. I keep Otto at .70 because that's a good mid point and it maximizes my earning potential.

• Fisherman
    commented on 's reply
    No, that's about it. I was going to say, if you're catching a lot of hits when you turn it down to .50, then turn it down to .50...adjust Otto to where it works best for YOU.

• witch1
    commented on 's reply
    Anything to add, fearless leader? Fisherman

• witch1
    replied
    Okay lightningshark...let's break this way down. How many hits have you completed? What's your approval rating? What system are you using to Turk? ALL of those have an impact on how effectively and efficiently you Turk. If you only have 1000 hits or 90% approval rating then Otto isn't going to catch very much. And temper your expectations. What I mean by that, does it matter if you make 50.00 with 5 hits or 100 hits? I know that for me when I make over 25.00 it's made by doing a bunch of smaller hits instead of one or two big hits.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    commented on 's reply
    Update for anyone reading this...lightningshark contacted me about this and had a combination running that was producing a Page Request Rate of 0.444. This will cause a huge drop in caught Hits all on its own.

• witch1
    commented on 's reply
    MTurk is very much a roll of the dice. Otto helps, but, can only catch what's actually there. There have been times when I struggle to make it to 20.00 and then I see someone mention in the forums that they broke 100.00. Other times, I blow through 50.00 and someone else will mention that they're only at 10.00. Otto is a helper, not a magic bullet.

• CrazyCatLady
    commented on 's reply
    lightningshark - it really depends, just like it did before Otto. I think the thing is, you're not seeing hits someone caught and then posted. You're seeing hits someone saw in hit forker or hit finder or even on the worker site itself and exported for the sake of the group. Unless you see words to the effect of "qualifications not available from queue" (sorry, I can't remember exactly at the moment), it's just an export from a script. All this to say that we're not all catching those high dollar hits either

Now, there are plenty of times 3 people on the board are talking about catching a $5 hit and I didn't. That could be because the hit showed up while Panda Crazy was running, or because my internet hiccuped, or because 1000 other people were trying to catch the hit at the same time and it just didn't happen for me. You know how when you click on a hit on the worker site and it's already gone? Otto is a ton faster than you could click, but it's still dealing with the same issues of competing with other people and even with hit throttle.

Finally, this past week was mid-terms at the university I work at. I guarantee you that had something to do with researchers not posting hits!

• lightningshark
    replied
    I spoke with the administrator about this already but I'll explain here as well. I have Panda Crazy open just to collect hits from OTTO. I have OTTO running at .8. looking for hits that are at least a dollar. I am logged into Mturk and have my dashboard showing. I always log into Mturk first and then start OTTO. I notice that if I close my browser down and restart it I get a HIT within a couple minutes. When I first got OTTO lots of hits were pouring in and it really seems different now after using it for 10 days. If I lower OTTO down o .50 cents then those hits come in. It's the higher reward hits that don't seem to show up anymore. I can see from the daily hits page here that people are seeing hits for 5-10 dollars that I seem to qualify for yet I never see those hits in OTTO. So i'm not sure what to think at this point. I'm making more money than I would without OTTO for sure it seems like something is off. Thanks for you concern!

Leave a comment:

• smartin
    commented on 's reply
    lightningshark sorry for the late reply. I hope you were able to figure out your issue. A few basic things can be causing this. Starting with the obvious first. Are you logged in and is Otto running? Did you start Otto prior to starting any other scrapers or catchers? Otto needs to be started first because he will assume that you have already seen and are trying to catch that hit via other means if you don't start him first. What other scrapers and/or catchers are you running at the same time? You could be calling to the Mturk website too often and you are just running into Page Request Errors (PREs) Make sure your total search rate with everything is no less than .8 you can use the Page Request Calculator at this link: https://www.ourhitstop.net/page-request-calculator I would suggest bookmarking this page so you have it handy in the future. If you are still having issues please let me know.
Working...
X