banner91319

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Get a Free 3-Day Trial of OTTO

Give OTTO a try for free and Discover the Way mTurk Work Should Have Always Been. To get started, contact me at [email protected]

Our site is constantly growing and adding new features. We've already come a long way in a very short time, and would love for you to become a more active member of our group.

Beyond your initial Free 3-Day Trial, to have a permanent OTTO Key you need to have a Tier 2 or Tier 3 membership.

Our current membership prices are:

Tier 1: Free
Tier 2: $10/month
Tier 3: $15/month

If you need to upgrade your membership tier, please send me a message at [email protected] , and I'll get that taken care of for you.

To Find out all about OTTO check out https://www.ourhitstop.net/otto-instructions .
See more
See less

What would you like to smell today...Saturday March 21, 2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you like to smell today...Saturday March 21, 2020

Today is national fragrance day. Some researchers believe pleasant memories are associated with smells---because "the olfactory bulb which is responsible for processing all those smells we take in is next to the hippocampus deep inside the brain. Neuroscientists have discovered that one of the responsibilities of the hippocampus is creating new memories. With the olfactory bulb and the hippocampus immediately adjacent, research suggests smell and memory are closely related." https://nationaldaycalendar.com/nati...-day-march-21/

What is your favorite smell? My favorite smell is new mown hay ( comes from being raised on a farm when I was very young) Good morning everybody

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
    Today is national fragrance day. Some researchers believe pleasant memories are associated with smells---because "the olfactory bulb which is responsible for processing all those smells we take in is next to the hippocampus deep inside the brain. Neuroscientists have discovered that one of the responsibilities of the hippocampus is creating new memories. With the olfactory bulb and the hippocampus immediately adjacent, research suggests smell and memory are closely related." https://nationaldaycalendar.com/nati...-day-march-21/

What is your favorite smell? My favorite smell is new mown hay ( comes from being raised on a farm when I was very young) Good morning everybody
    I love the smell of the ocean. It's my happy place, the waves crashing, the sound of seagulls , babies playing in the sand and waves. I just love it

Comment

• librarian50
      librarian50 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the smell of the ocean too! But I guess my favorite smell is a candle called Candle Shop from Kringle Candle Company. It smells exactly like walking into a Yankee Candle store. When I retired, I put a line into my budget for candles because they bring me joy

• cyvamp
      cyvamp commented
      Editing a comment
      librarian50 I stopped using candles because of the reptiles in my house, I am unsure how it would affect them. I loved the clean linen scent

• USMarineVet
      USMarineVet commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the smell of the ocean too. And gasoline. Who doesn't love the smell of gasoline? But I'm gonna go with the smell of a big pot of spaghetti sauce on the stove and ANYTHING cherry.

Good morning everyone! Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

I agree cyvamp and librarian50 ! The ocean is my husband's and my "happy place" as well. Love the waves crashing, seagulls, etc. We go there every year. Also love the smell of a bakery with all the fresh-baked goodies, yum!

Comment

Please join me in welcoming our newest member, pcdoctor to the forums.

Comment

• ZeldaFoot
        ZeldaFoot commented
        Editing a comment

• smartin
        smartin commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome pcdoctor glad to have you!

• Sweetheart
        Sweetheart commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome!

Giggle morning!

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
      What is your favorite smell?

Bacon!

Comment

• witch1
        witch1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bacon smells like love and joy!

• Turking2Long
        Turking2Long commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed!

I love the smell of this blue disinfectant. One of the happiest times in my life was when I worked for a vet. We used a blue disinfectant-and that's what it was called "Blue Stuff"-and whenever I smell it I got back to then. It always makes me think of some of my favorite patients and happy times with my husband and daughters...they were elementary school back then.
      Positive as f*&%! Be happy and everything else is a breeze!

Comment

Title: Quick data collection on COVIN-19 responses(~ 3 minutes) | PANDA
        Requester: Mirya Holman [A3LWCL300SRI0J] (Req TV): $21.72/hr/hr
        (TO): [Pay: N/A] [Fair: N/A] [Comm: N/A] [Fast: N/A]
        Description: Do a quick data collection task online
        Time: 30 minutes(s)
        HITs Available: 1
        Reward: $0.20
        Qualifications: Exc: [2021702995-204934] DoesNotExist ; Location In US;

Comment

Title: Short study of people's attitudes. (a couple of min) | PANDA
          Requester: Eric Levy [A2ZGFFU53PGAD6] (Req TV): $12.06/hr/hr
          Description: Academic study of people's attitudes. A couple of min.
          Time: 20 minutes(s)
          Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThan 100; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 99; Location EqualTo US;

Comment

Thank you for the welcome. I created my introductory post in the introduction forum.

Comment

Title: COVID-19, Personality, Morality (WARNING: This HIT may contain adult content. Worker discretion is advised.) | PANDA
              Requester: The Marsh Lab [A1HXI04XPBV40G] (Req TV): $17.30/hr/hr
              Description: In this HIT, we will ask you different questions about personality, morals, and coronavirus (5-7 min)
              Reward: $0.85
              Qualifications: Principles DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 500; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 97; Location EqualTo US; Adult Content Qualification EqualTo 1Take Test;

Comment

I posted a bunch of activities and resources for those of you with little ones. You can find it in the Facebook group!

Comment

• witch1
                  witch1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you librarian50! I know parents must be so overwhelmed right now!

• librarian50
                  librarian50 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Any people should remember that there is lots of free stuff from your public library! My library is issuing cards online (my good friend is Head of Circulation and she is doing it from home!), so no excuse!

• smartin
                  smartin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @libarian50 our libraries are all shut down for the time being but they emailed a huge list of resources to everyone to access things online. I might have to dust off my kindle and teach my grandma how to use it because she's starting to run low. She reads an average of a book a day and has been keeping a list of them since 1979

To keep older kids or adults occupied and exercising their brains, here are a few questions you might ask. I think they are from a HIT I did a long time ago.

You are on a tiny life raft with six other people that is beginning to fill with water and unless you do something, all of you will drown. There is an injured person onboard who may die either way. If you throw him overboard, everyone else will be saved. In this situation, would you throw him overboard?

You get back a test and you see that the professor added up your points wrong, such that you should have gotten a grade 5% lower than what is written on the test. In this situation, would you tell the professor?

You are at the grocery store checkout line and you hand the clerk some cash for your groceries. The clerk gives you back too much change: $10 more than he should have. In this situation, would you tell the clerk?

You and five other people are hiding in a cellar from enemy soldiers. A baby in your group begins to cry. You cover her mouth, but she cannot breathe. If you remove your hand, the baby can breathe, but her crying will summon the soldiers who will kill everyone in the cellar. In this situation, would you smother the baby?

You and five other people are taken hostage by a group of terrorists. The terrorists offer you a choice: either they will kill all of you, or if you execute one of your fellow hostages, you and the others are free to go. In this situation, would you execute one of your fellow hostages?

You are pulling out of a parking space and you accidentally hit a car behind you. No one saw you do this and the damage is minimal. In this situation, would you drive away without leaving a phone number?

Comment

• witch1
                  witch1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, moral/philosophic discussion is awesome for teens!

ANNOUNCEMENT : (I will repeat this for at least a week, then once per month along with a report on the Reserve)

Some of us came up with a neat idea Friday night that I wanted to share with the group. Many of us here think of each other as a part of our extended family, I know that I do. Many of us also don’t have a ton of outside support which can make things a bit isolating.

Often in life, people run into issues that are difficult to solve on their own. We talk to each other here all the time about such issues. In times like this, family members sometimes turn to each other for support. We’d like to make that a part of the OHS family experience as well.

To that end, I am establishing the OHS Family Reserve. This is a financial reserve that will be held by me, and administered ONLY under the guidance and approval of the OHS moderators. Your OHS moderators are Turking2Long kate witch1 CrazyCatLady ZeldaFoot smartin

Effective immediately, members will have the choice and opportunity to donate towards this fund. This will be handled in exactly the same fashion as your current membership fees. Your contribution, should you choose to make one, may be a one time amount, or an inclusion onto your monthly membership.

No one on the board will ever be asked to contribute directly. No one on the board will ever have knowledge of the individual contributions of others other than me. I will announce the status of the fund monthly, on or about the first of each month in the DHT. I will keep a rigorous record of the fund that will be available if the need ever arises.

DO NOT post on the board an amount you wish to contribute. You may post that you WISH to contribute, but not how much. You should contact me by PM, or by direct email to [email protected] to give your wishes in this regard.

Funds from the reserve will be kept in a completely separate account from anything else and will be available for use at a moment’s notice. Funds will not be released for any purpose unless both myself and a majority of the OHS moderators agree.

Although it is not the primary intent for funds to be directly dispersed to members, this is always an option at our disposal. This is primarily designed for a “member is out of TP, we send them some TP” situation...that sort of thing.

When the event arises that funds are released, no public posting concerning this release will be made. Only in the event that the recipient of aid from the Reserve independently decides to post about it, will it even be known to anyone beyond the Moderators and myself. Moderators will delete posts over this without hesitation.

Additionally, the function of moderator is being expanded. Moderators now have responsibility to get to know the needs of the membership. To keep up with this type of thing and alert me to this end. If you have questions, or suggestions, please contact any of the moderators concerning this.

In order to get the ball rolling, I am donating 100% of the site’s Ad Revenue to the Reserve. That's not a lot, but it does keep ticking day after day. I am also donating any and all associated processing fees that member contributions generate. So, if you donate $X.XX, then exactly $X.XX goes into the fund.

Comment

• USMarineVet
                  USMarineVet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's awesome bro. A very thoughtful gesture indeed.

• ZeldaFoot
                  ZeldaFoot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wish I could love this post!

• Sweetheart
                  Sweetheart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very thoughtful of you Fisherman

Good Morning All. Senate voting on the stimulus package tomorrow. From what I know, if you filed a 2018 tax return, and made less than 75,000 you will receive $1200.00 in the first half of April. Another $1200.00 will be sent sometime in May. If you made between $75,000 and $100,000 you should receive around $600.00 in both April and May. For families with children, they are considering an additional $500.00 per child packaged into a family deal. How you receive the money depends on how you chose to have your 2018 income tax refund deposited. (Direct deposit or check sent to your residence)

Of course, it's not written in stone yet, but this is what's on the table and it seems to be very bipartisan. So tomorrow we shall see. Whatever the final outcome, that's A LOT of HITS! I'm just happy to see our government do for our own people what we've done for so many others.
                Last edited by USMarineVet; 03-21-2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• USMarineVet
                  USMarineVet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  witch1 I understand your logic, and I agree. But the whole ideology is to provide a stimulus package to inject money into the economy. So, (I believe) they're less interested in setting monetary parameters and more interested in giving everyone equal amounts to get the money flow going again. If you made a lot of money, (Over 100,000) you won't get it because the gov't considers you as someone who is not in need of it as you are most likely continuing to inject money into the economy. Between 75,000 and 100,000 you get less because you are kind of still spending money. If you didn't file, you have an ambiguous status are penalized for that. Very broad strokes in my opinion, but it makes sense.

• Fisherman
                  Fisherman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  USMarineVet the issue I have is primarily for those that DID file, but were lower income. They are the ones most dramatically effected by the economic ramifications of the virus, yet still should still be considered as "contributing" by even the most right winged...and yes, that means me.

• USMarineVet
                  USMarineVet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fisherman I hear ya bro. Totally with you on that. I'm almost certain that the lower-income people you're concerned about (as am I) will receive the maximum amount provided they filed their 2018 taxes. I'm not familiar with the bracketing that Bear posted about. I'm not familiar with the source so I can't vouch for its credibility one way or the other. Although I think I know Bear well enough to vouch for his. Guess we'll just have to wait to see where the devil is in the details.

There are four groups of these up.

​​​​​​
                Title: Quick data collection on COVIN-19 responses(~ 3 minutes) | PANDA
                Requester: Mirya Holman [A3LWCL300SRI0J] (Req TV): $21.72/hr/hr
                Description: Do a quick data collection task online
                Qualifications: Exc: [2021703059-204936] DoesNotExist ; Location In US;

Comment

Working...
                X