banner91319

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Get a Free 3-Day Trial of OTTO

Give OTTO a try for free and Discover the Way mTurk Work Should Have Always Been. To get started, contact me at [email protected]

Our site is constantly growing and adding new features. We've already come a long way in a very short time, and would love for you to become a more active member of our group.

Beyond your initial Free 3-Day Trial, to have a permanent OTTO Key you need to have a Tier 2 or Tier 3 membership.

Our current membership prices are:

Tier 1: Free
Tier 2: $10/month
Tier 3: $15/month

If you need to upgrade your membership tier, please send me a message at [email protected] , and I'll get that taken care of for you.

To Find out all about OTTO check out https://www.ourhitstop.net/otto-instructions .
See more
See less

National Handshake Day HITs Thursday June 25, 2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Handshake Day HITs Thursday June 25, 2020

On the last Thursday of June each year, people across the nation observe National Handshake Day.

Of all the various forms of greeting, the handshake is perhaps one of the most ancient.

The origin of the handshake is hard to pinpoint. As it is a non-verbal mode of communication, it may have existed before written records. Theories suggest it was a way for medieval knights, Roman soldiers, and other weapon carrying men to check for hidden daggers by grasping each other’s forearms in greeting.

Archaeological ruins in ancient Greece support this theory. The funerary stele depicts two soldiers shaking hands and dates back to 5th century BC.

An even older record in Egypt suggests the handshake held a different sort of power – the power of giving. According to Babylonian custom, kings would grasp the hand of the statue of the god Marduk before taking the throne. This act was repeated annually during the festival of Zagmuk to carry his power over into the next year. Even conquering Assyria continued the tradition.

As during ancient times, modern-day handshakes have different customs around the world. Women didn’t usually carry weapons and therefore didn’t shake hands as a form of greeting. In the United States, Russia, Australia, Brazil, and the United Kingdom handshakes tend to be firm, but even those with firm greetings have lingering differences. However, in most Asian countries such as China, Japan, and South Korea, the grip is light, and there should be no direct eye contact. However, in the Philippines, they make eye contact while keeping the hold light.

Then there are the secret handshakes, those elaborate greetings signaling membership in a group, club, or society. One of the more famous societies known to use secret handshakes is the Freemasons. Some day we will be able to shake hands again.

I woke up to a rejection with this note:

"I am sorry, but I have to reject your reward, because your replies proved that you failed to pay attention to the questions and answered randomly. I consider it a sabotage of my research and I do not appreciate such behavior."

For some reason, this came across as rude and offensive to me. I've never answered anything randomly, ever, so clearly their evaluation system is wrong and I don't appreciate their behavior either. I think I'm going to write and politey share my feelings, while trying to avoid being snarky.

Comment

• Sweetheart
      Sweetheart commented
      Editing a comment
      Surprisingly, she responded back to my email and claims that I missed an attention check question. I highly doubt this, but I guess anything is possible so I just politely responded with an apology and thanked her for the information. I'm going to let it go. More reviews popping up on Turkopticon about this one, definitely one to avoid.

• Curbie
      Curbie commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry that happened.

• Sweetheart
      Sweetheart commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Curbie !!

Good morning Heroes of the Turk!

Comment

I think I will give it a shot....oh screened out, I didn't notice this" "5. We are currently only looking for participants who have earned a graduate degree."
      ​​​​​​
      Title: Health and General Literacy Survey | PANDA
      Requester: Dawna Duff [A1F8O78Z0V5JA1] (Req TV): $10.19/hr/hr
      (TO): [Pay: N/A] [Fair: N/A] [Comm: N/A] [Fast: N/A]
      Description: This is a two part study. You can earn up to $15 for completing both studies. In session 1, you will read texts and answer comprehension questions. You'll also provide information on your general knowledge of various health related topics.
      Time: 2 hour(s)
      HITs Available: 1
      Reward: $2.00
      Qualifications: New Completed HealthLit Part 1 DoesNotExist ; Completed Health Lit Study Part 1 DoesNotExist ; Masters Exists ; Completed HealthLit Pilot DoesNotExist ; Completed Health Lit Study Screened Out DoesNotExist ; Location EqualTo US;

Please do not accept this hit unless you intend to complete all sessions for which you are eligible. Completing both sessions will result in earning $15.

During the first session you will be asked some brief background questions. After that, you will be asked to:
      1. answer 10 comprehension question related to information provided about health topics. (~15 min) - $2.00

2. identify words that are similar to each other (2 min) - $0.50

3. Read a series a passages and answer reading comprehension questions (15 minutes) - $2.00

4. provide some information about your background knowledge on several health topics. (5 min) - $0.50

5. During the second session you will read 4 texts related to health topics and provide short answers to questions about those texts. This will take between 30-60 minutes. - $10

Any amount you earn over the initial $2.00 will be paid as a bonus in one lump sum when you have completed all sections for which you are eligible.

Comment

Don't shake hands with anyone or you'll catch Covid! And touching hands with strangers is just icky to me.
        Positive as f*&%! Be happy and everything else is a breeze!

Comment

• witch1
          witch1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Down here hugging is a big thing and I HATE it! Most have stopped that due to Covid and I'm so glad. It sucks that it took a pandemic for me to be comfortable leaving my house.

• hanzuh
          hanzuh commented
          Editing a comment
          I hate shaking hands with people I don't know. Never know where they've been lol. I like hugging though!

Sweetheart My OCD self has been so happy people are being a bit more clean! Finally people don't think I'm the weird one with all my contamination fears lol.

• Sweetheart
          Sweetheart commented
          Editing a comment
          hanzuh Yes!!! My thoughts exactly.

Good Morning Guys and Gals, Let's make some money today

Comment

Title: Answer an academic survey about your expectations for fairness at work | PANDA
          Requester: Richard Reed [ALM1JWNNRNF6A] (Req TV): $24.76/hr/hr
          Description: Give us your opinion about what is fair at work and how it impacts workplace attitudes and behaviors
          Time: 3 hour(s)
          Reward: $4.00
          Qualifications: Previous Participant DoesNotExist ; Masters Exists ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 95; Location EqualTo US;

Comment

Title: Research project - Attention to shapes(~ 45 minutes) | PANDA
            Requester: CogFlex Lab [A17OZ58ULSDPGX] (Req TV): $11.43/hr/hr
            Description: This HIT is a study conducted by researchers at the University of Western Australia. It consists of a few questionnaires, and an attentional task. It is run via Inquisit, which requires you to install a plugin.
            Time: 2 hour(s)
            Reward: $5.00
            Qualifications: Exc: [7204313-229437] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 98; Location In US;

Comment

Title: Rate a company decision(~ 2 minutes) | Accept
              Requester: Benedikt Schnurr [A1IS9R06USPB5N] Contact
              TV: [Hrly=$14.30] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Good] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
              TO: [Pay=4.55] [Fast=4.58] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=4.85] [Reviews=35] [ToS=0]
              TO2: No Reviews
              Reward: 0.20
              Duration: 10:00
              Available: 35
              Description: Tell us what you think about this decision
              Qualifications: Exc: [1593002506-229454] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 80; Location In US

Comment

Title: Economic Decision Under Uncertainty(~ 15 minutes) | PANDA
                Requester: Sandip k Sureka [A3896M4MKBMQGR] (Req TV): $58.20/hr/hr
                Description: survey
                Time: 1 hour(s) 30 minutes(s)
                Reward: $2.00
                Qualifications: Exc: [7253056-226317] DoesNotExist ; Masters Exists ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 80; Location In US;

Comment

• cyvamp
                  cyvamp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  10 minutes and I got a bonus of 3.85

I don't want anyone to worry so letting you all know I won't be around the next couple of days. It's been raining like crazy and I want to take advantage of the wet soil and go clean out an area for a flower bed. Being wet makes it easier to dig and turn the soil.
                Positive as f*&%! Be happy and everything else is a breeze!

Comment

• cyvamp
                  cyvamp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I always dig the weeds either when it is raining or the day after, the neighbors think I have lost my mind

• Kizzy
                  Kizzy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Enjoy your gardening I know weed pulling isn't much fun but think of how beautiful the flower bed will be when you get it done

• Curbie
                  Curbie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for letting us know! I do always worry when a "regular" isn't around. Have fun!

Got a study on Prolific in my language That was a first. The beginning with the common questions seemed like it was badly translated. I'm so used to answering the questions in english, that I could just read the first few words and know what the rest said 😆

Comment

• hanzuh
                  hanzuh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweetheart Finnish

• Sweetheart
                  Sweetheart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, how neat! You don't meet too many people who speak Finnish!

• hanzuh
                  hanzuh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sweetheart Haha yeah we are a bit rare

Title: iRobot: Perceptions of Robotics-Assisted Surgery and Technology in Healthcare | PANDA
                Requester: LSE BizStudies [A13AZWI2ZE4HD2] (Req TV): $-/hr
                Description: This 10 minute questionnaire asks about your thoughts on the use of robotics and artificial intelligence in healthcare.
                Time: 1 hour(s)
                HITs Available: 2
                Reward: $1.00
                Qualifications: Masters Exists ;

Comment

6 minutes

​​​​​​
                  Title: Social and Political Attitudes Regarding COVID-19(~ 7 minutes) | PANDA
                  Requester: Dean Baltiansky [A2DCJC49ETT7N2] (Req TV): $26.13/hr/hr
                  Description: survey
                  Time: 30 minutes(s)
                  HITs Available: 19
                  Reward: $1.50
                  Qualifications: Total approved HITs LessThanOrEqualTo 500000; TP Panel: -844386119 N GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Exc: [-991372996-229385] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 50; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 90; Location In US;

Comment

Just caught 2 parking sings. Maybe it'll be another Pittsburgh/Phoenix day of parking signs! That would be nice.

Comment

• smartin
                      smartin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wish they would just post a juicy batch.
                  Working...
                  X