Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuclear Deterrent Forces

This is what I have been worried about all along. He's losing face, so now he's upping the threat.

https://twitter.com/JohnSimpsonNews/...26891063361536

Russian president Vladimir Putin has ordered his military to put the country’s nuclear deterrence forces on high alert in response to “aggressive statements” by Nato countries.

The order, which was announced by the state-run Tass news agency, came at a meeting between Putin, defence minister Sergei Shoigu and chief of the general staff of the armed forces of Russia, Valery Gerasimov.

“Senior officials of the leading Nato countries also allow aggressive statements against our country, therefore I order the Minister of Defense and the Chief of the General Staff [of the Russian Armed Forces] to transfer the deterrence forces of the Russian army to a special mode of combat duty,” Putin said in the statement.

It is not immediately clear what the “special mode of combat duty” entailed. Putin has warned foreign countries not to interfere in his ongoing invasion of Ukraine, saying it could lead to “consequences they have never seen”. He has positioned anti-air missiles and other advanced missile systems in Belarus and deployed his fleet to the Black Sea in an effort to prevent a western intervention in Ukraine.

The Russian invasion has left hundreds dead. Russia has launched missile strikes against buildings in Kyiv, Kharkiv and other major Ukrainian cities as it threatens an all-out assault not seen since the time of the second world war.

The US responded that this was an “unacceptable” escalation, US ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield said on Sunday.

“It means that President Putin is continuing to escalate this war in a manner that is totally unacceptable and we have to continue to stem his actions in the strongest possible way,” Thomas-Greenfield said in interview with CBS’ Face the Nation.

Comment

well, shit
      My goal is to build a life that I don't need a vacation from.

Comment

John Kerry must be feeling hopeful. I honestly thought it was an Onion headline when I first saw it. Him saying that he hoped the Ukraine situation wouldn't keep Putin from a commitment to combatting climate change. Well nothing will stop global warming quicker than a nuclear winter.

Comment

• Fisherman
          Fisherman commented
          Editing a comment
          Vladimir Putin - Nuclear Environmentalist ! - "When you want to do something about global warming, right F'n NOW !"

This is what I've been so afraid of. THIS is my only fear...nuclear war.
        Positive as f*&%! Be happy and everything else is a breeze!

Comment

• kate
          kate commented
          Editing a comment
          witch1 same. This is exactly what you and I were talking about when everything kicked off initially.

• witch1
          witch1 commented
          Editing a comment
          We both said he'd do this. All because NATO's involved

• Giskard
          Giskard commented
          Editing a comment
          It's extremely unlikely that any of this will result in ballistic missiles flying around the globe. Even if Putin has gone completely nuts, it's not like he's carrying around a remote in his pocket that unleashes the missiles. There are procedures that are followed before any of these weapons are even armed. You would have to assume that the entire government of Russia sees some sort of no win scenario where mutual assured destruction is the only viable option. What's more likely is that Putin even attempts to take it to that level that he will seen as a liability and suddenly disappear.

Belarus referendum approves proposal to renounce non-nuclear status: reports

A referendum in Belarus on Sunday reportedly approved a new constitution renouncing the country’s non-nuclear status at a time when the former Soviet republic has become a launch pad for Russian troops invading Ukraine, Russian news agencies report.

The move could theoretically allow Russia to place nuclear weapons on Belarusian soil for the first time since the country gave them up after the fall of the Soviet Union. The referendum result will come into force 10 days after its official publication, Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported.

On Sunday, Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko said: “If you [the west] transfer nuclear weapons to Poland or Lithuania, to our borders, then I will turn to Putin to return the nuclear weapons that I gave away without any conditions.”

Comment

• kate
          kate commented
          Editing a comment
          For context: Belarus borders Poland, Lithuania and Latvia.

• Giskard
          Giskard commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like showboating to me. There isn't a spot in Europe that Russia couldn't hit with nuclear ordinance from within it's own borders between bombers, cruise missiles and intermediate range ballistic missiles. Unless they plan on moving artillery into Belarus capable of nuclear payloads it's pointless and using artillery as a delivery system is pretty archaic by today's standards.

• witch1
          witch1 commented
          Editing a comment
          He doesn't have to move shit. My late husband was on nuclear subs. He said he could take the nuts off a squirrel from five thousand miles away FROM UNDER THE WATER. This ain't the 50s any longer. Modern warfare is terrifyingly simple.

A 40 mile long supply convoy.....too bad we couldn't lease them a few A-10's

Comment

Well....so far....here's my interpretation of the response of the UN and NATO.

Comment

• CrazyCatLady
            CrazyCatLady commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, just talk

And of course, this is Ukraine...

Comment

Working...
          X